Divided naevus of the upper and lower lids is an infrequent congenital naevus of the human eyelids. It is also known as kissing naevus or split ocular naevus. The histological types of divided naevi may be melanocytic, cellular or compound. Until now about 30 such cases have been reported in the literature.
In our clinic, in the last 20 years we have seen seven patients with divided naevus, four female and three male. Three patients, two children of 10 and 11 years and a 77-year-old nun, did not accept any treatment. The remaining four patients, three female and one male, accepted surgical treatment. None of them had received any treatment in the past. Three of these divided naevi were cellular and one was melanocytic. Treatment included a two stage reconstruction in three cases and a single stage procedure in one case. The lower eyelid was usually treated first, and upper eyelid full thickness grafts were mostly used. Lid shortening was common, particularly in the cellular naevi.
The results were aesthetically and functionally good. No major complications were observed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Divided nevus of the penis: an unusual location.Arch Dermatol. 1998 Jul; 134: 879-880
- A case of epidermal nevi showing a divided form on the fingers.J Am Acad Dermatol. 1993 Aug; 29: 281-282
- Congenital divided compound nevi of the eyelids.Klin Monatsbl Augenheilkd. 1999 Oct; 215: 263-265
- Divided nevus – an embryological experiment of nature.Hautarzt. 1990 Dec; 41: 696-698
- Divided nevi of the skin of the eyelid.Klin Monatsbl Augenheilkd. 1919; 63 (or 1960;137: 504–5): 678
- Divided nevus.Acta Ophthalmol (Copenh). 1969; 47: 1004
- Divided nevus of the eyelid.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1991 Aug; 88: 331-333
- Congenital divided naevus of the eyelids.Br J Ophthalmol. 1988 Mar; 72: 198-201
- Complex facial nevi: a surgical algorithm.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000 Jul; 106: 25-35
- Risk of melanoma arising in large congenital melanocytic nevi: a systematic review.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2004 Jun; 113: 1968-1974
- The successful treatment of a divided nevus on a young patient using a modified Kunhnt-Szymanowski procedure.Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 1990; 6: 181-184
Published online: May 24, 2006
Accepted: December 9, 2005
Received: February 2, 2005
© 2006 The British Association of Plastic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.