This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The use of physical signs to describe and classify burns has been reviewed from earliest times to the present day.
During the last 30 years a number of methods have been studied for diagnosing partial and full-thickness skin destruction. These are enumerated, and the opinion is advanced that sensitivity to pin-prick is the best and simplest guide we have as to whether the deepest epithelial elements in the skin are alive or not.
- Evaluation of burn depth by the use of radioactive isotopes—an experimental study.Plastic reconstr. Surg. 1957; 20: 261-272
- Traité des Maladies Chirurgicales et des Opérations qui leur conviennent. Vol. 1. Migneret, Springfield1814
- (London) The Papyrus Ebers. 1930: 68
- (newly corrected and augmented)A Prooved Practice for all Young Chirurgians, Concerning Burning with Gunpowder, and Wounds made with Gunshot. 1591: 2
- (newly corrected and augmented)A Prooved Practice for all Young Chirurgians, Concerning Burning with Gunpowder, and Wounds made with Gunshot. 1591: 62
- Studies of burns and scalds.Med. Res. Council Spec. Rep. Series No. 1945; 249: 6
- A clinical test for differentiating second from third degree burns.Ann. Surg. 1943; 118: 427-429
- An Introduction to the History of Medicine.3rd ed. Saunders, Paris1922
- Studies of burns and scalds.Med. Res. Council Spec. Rep. Series No. 1945; 249: 51
- Early differentiation between necrotic and viable tissue in burns.Plastic reconstr. Surg. 1961; 27: 359-373
- Dye differentiation of injured tissues in burn injury.Surgery Gynec. Obstet. 1965; 121: 3-7
- The Treatment of Burns.in: Thomas, Philadelphia1942: 7
- The Treatment of Burns.in: Thomas, Springfield1942: 19
- Hebra on Diseases of the Skin. 1866; 1 (trans. by Fagge, C. H.) (London): 316
- (trans. into English from the Latin of Dr. Laurence Heister) (London)A General System of Surgery. 1743: 220
- New methods for determining the viability of bowel.Archs Surg., Chicago. 1942; 45: 785-791
- The diagnosis of the depth of burning.Br. J. Surg. 1953; 40: 588-596
- Second thoughts on the burn wound.J. Trauma. 1969; 9: 839-862
- (London) The Workes of that famous Chirurgian, Ambroise Paré. 1649: 308
- (London) An Essay on Burns. 1817: 102
- The use of fluorescein to determine the adequacy of the circulation.Med. Clins N. Am. 1942; 26: 943-952
- Acta chir. plast. 1963; 5: 1
- A clinical evaluation of the use of thermography in determining the degree of burn injury.Plastic reconstr. Surg. 1966; 38: 512-518
- History of Medicine.in: Blakiston, Springfield1947: 813
- The treatment of thermal burns.New Engl. J. Med. 1943; 229: 817-823
- (Ottawa) Treatment of Thermal Burns. 1942: 7
- Burns, Types, Pathology and Management.in: Lippincott, Philadelphia1930: 22
- The diagnosis of the depth of skin destruction in burns and its bearing on treatment.Br. J. Surg. 1944; 32: 32-35
- (Stuttgart) Die Verbrennungen und die Erfrierungen. 1915: 6
- (Stuttgart) Die Verbrennungen und die Erfrierungen. 1915: 18
- Ann. chir. plast. 1958; 3: 119
- Observations on the early excision of burns and the surgical management of crush injuries using an intravenous dye injection technique to assess tissue viability.Injury. 1970; 1: 261-270
- Discussion on the treatment of burns.in: Proc. R. Soc. Med.34. 1940: 43-49
- (London) Severall Chirurgicall Treatises. 1676: 441
1Based on part of an M.D. Thesis : Local Physical Signs in Burns : their basis and significance.
© 1970 E. & S. Livingstone. Published by Elsevier Inc.