This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A second look has been taken at the Abbe flap as used in 50 patients with postcleft-lip deformities. In reviewing operative revisions following Abbe flap placement in these instances, it is obvious that full-face view improvement is more difficult than that of profile view. The most common problems with the use of the flap were : notching at the flap-lip junctures, redundant vermilion, upper and lower lip scars and an overlong flap.
A majority of the problems have been associated with asymmetrical lateral placement which draws attention to the most minor irregularity. Many difficulties would be eliminated if all flaps could be placed centrally. This however is not always feasible, and certainly, many laterally placed flaps have been satisfactory.
The techniques of revision have been presented and suggestions made for improving the primary procedures.
- A new plastic operation for the relief of deformity due to double harelip.Med. Rec. 1898; 53: 477-478
- The role of the switched lower lip flap in upper lip reconstruction.Plastic reconstr. Surg. 1950; 5: 1-25
- Switching of vermilion bordered lip flaps.Surgery Gynec. Obstet. 1928; 46: 701-704
- History of a case in which a series of plastic operations was successfully performed for the restoration of the right half of the upper lip and adjacent portions of the cheek and nose.Trans. N.Y. med. Soc. 1864; : 173-186
- The split vermilion bordered lip flap.Surgery Gynec. Obstet. 1941; 73: 95-97
- Further observations on the use of the split vermilion bordered flap.Plastic reconstr. Surg. 1953; 11: 497-501
- En method att fraån den ena lappen fylla substansfôrluster i den andra och i kinden.Nord. med. Ark. 1872; 4: 1-12
- Principles and Art of Plastic Surgery.Butterworths, London1957
- Estlander-Abbe operation in treating secondary harelip deformities and defects of the upper lip resulting from cancer.Plastic reconstr. Surg. 1947; 2: 235-307
- The Abbe flap.in: Its use in single and double lip clefts. Br. J. plast. Surg.16. 1963: 46-58
- Composite lip flaps and grafts in secondary cleft deformities.Br. J. plast. Surg. 1964; 17: 1-8
- Cenno stovico dell'Origine e Progresso della Rhinoplastica e Cheiloplastica sequito dalla Descrizione di Queste Operazioni sopra un solo individuo.Belle Arti, London1838
- Laebedannelse fudort paa en ny nethode.Hospitalsmeddelelser. 1848; 1: 212-216
- Crescentic perialar cheek excision for upper lip flap advancement with a short history of upper lip repair.Plastic reconstr. Surg. 1955; 16: 434-464
© 1970 E. & S. Livingstone. Published by Elsevier Inc.