We were interested to read Pandya and Dickson's short report on a capsule within a capsule,
1.as we have recently published an article ‘True double capsules in oil-based (Trilucent) breast implants’.
- Pandya A.N.
- Dickson M.G.
Capsule within a capsule: an unusual entity.
Br J Plast Surg. 2002; 55: 455-456
2.In both reports, cosmetic augmentation using textured implants was performed on young women with no immediate postoperative complications and, in each case, further surgery was performed within 2 years of the initial procedure. Pandya and Dickson suggest that the double capsules may be caused by the tightly adherent capsule-implant complex shearing from the breast tissue with vigorous movement, resulting in haematoma and subsequent organisation, and that ‘irritation’ causes seroma. We have suggested that implant bleed
- Colville R.J.I.
- Cross P.A.
- McLean N.R.
True double capsules in oil-based (Trilucent) breast implants.
Br J Plast Surg. 2002; 55: 270-271
3.(histology revealed that foreign material was present in both capsules) causes excessive irritation,
- Young V.L.
- Lund H.
- Ueda K.
- Pidgeon L.
- Watson Schorr M.
- Kreeger J.
Bleed of and biologic response to triglyceride filler used in radiolucent breast implants.
Plast Reconstr Surg. 1996; 97: 1179-1195
4.creating an inner capsule. Bleed through this capsule or irritation by the foreign material within it leads to the formation of an outer capsule adherent to the chest-wall cavity. There were only small amounts of seroma in both our cases and no organised haematoma. We do not think that the outer capsule splits from the inner one, and believe that the strands found connecting the capsules in one of our cases are adhesions rather than the vestiges of separation.
- Choudhary S.
- Cadier M.A.M.
- Cottrell B.J.
Local tissue reactions to oil-based breast implant bleed.
Br J Plast Surg. 2000; 53: 317-318
- Capsule within a capsule: an unusual entity.Br J Plast Surg. 2002; 55: 455-456
- True double capsules in oil-based (Trilucent) breast implants.Br J Plast Surg. 2002; 55: 270-271
- Bleed of and biologic response to triglyceride filler used in radiolucent breast implants.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1996; 97: 1179-1195
- Local tissue reactions to oil-based breast implant bleed.Br J Plast Surg. 2000; 53: 317-318
© 2003 Published by Elsevier Inc.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Double capsule or capsule within a capsule: is there a difference?British Journal of Plastic SurgeryVol. 56Issue 7