This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Basal encephalocoeles are rarely reported anomalies. Eight cases seen by one unit manifested external facial features and internal cerebral anomalies characteristic of the individual encephalocoele subgroups. CT and MR imaging delineates the anatomy of the skeletal defect and the associated cerebral abnormalities. Such imaging of cases of median cleft face syndrome may identify previously unsuspected basal encephalocoeles.
Transcranial correction with increased exposure, if needed, by the technique of facial bipartition has been performed in five cases.
- Intranasal forms of encephalomeningocele.Acta Octolaryngol. 1947; 35: 519-531
- Anterior basal encephalocele of the neonatal and infantile period.Neurosurgery. 1986; 19: 968-978
- Median cleft face syndrome: MR and CT data from 11 children.Journal of Comp Assisted Tomog. 1988; 12: 57-64
- Anterior basal encephalocele in the median cleft face syndrome. Comments on nosology and treatment.Genetic Counselling. 1990; 1: 103-109
- Midline facial defects with ocular colobomata.Amer J Med Genet. 1990; 37: 23-27
- Transalar sphenoidal encephalocele.Clin Radiology. 1991; 43: 65-67
- Transalar sphenoidal encephaloceles: a review of clinical and roentgen features in 8 cases.Radiology. 1989; 170: 245-247
- Transsphenoidal and transethmoidal encephaloceles: a review of clinical and roentgen features in 8 cases.Radiology. 1968; 90: 442-453
- Anomalies of the corpus callosum: correlation with further anomalies of the brain.Amer J Roentgenology. 1988; 151: 171-179
- Basal hernias of the brain.Amer J Med Science. 1895; 109: 519-531
- Unusual polypoidal tumours of the nasal cavity: a clinicopathological review of 18 cases.Clin Otolaryngol. 1986; 11: 31-36
- Antra-choanal polyp: a 10 year retrospective study in the pediatric population with a review of the literature.J Otolaryngol. 1989; 18: 168-172
- Intrasphenoidal encephalocele.Otolaryngol-Head and Neck Surg. 1991; 104: 279-281
- The median cleft face syndrome.Neurology. 1967; 17: 961-971
- The syndrome of basal encephalocele and hypothalamic pituitary dysfunction.Annal Int Med. 1978; 89: 910-916
Accepted: April 16, 1993
Received: January 12, 1993
© 1993 The British Association of Plastic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc.