This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
To provide sensation to the reverse digital artery (RDA) flap, both the dorsal branch from the proper digital nerve and the superficial sensory branch from the corresponding radial or ulnar nerve are sectioned at their proximal ends and included with the RDA flap. These are then anastomosed with the distal ends of both radial and ulnar digital nerves at the recipient wound. Three cases of pulp defects reconstructed by this technique achieved very favourable functional and cosmetic results. The RDA flap, innervated through bilateral neurorrhaphy, seems to be an excellent option for one-stage reconstruction of major pulp defects.
- Small flap coverage of hand and digit defects.Clin Plast Surg. 1989; 16: 427-442
- Management of fingertip injuries.Clin Plast Surg. 1989; 16: 405-425
- Management of acute hand injuries.in: Mosby, St Louis1973: 140-143
- The reverse digital artery flap for fingertip reconstruction.Ann Plast Surg. 1989; 22: 495-500
- Reverse vascular pedicle digital island flap.Br J Plast Surg. 1990; 43: 290-295
- A versatile method for reconstruction of finger defects: reverse digital artery flap.Br J Plast Surg. 1992; 45: 443-453
- A new method of fingertip amputation.JAMA. 1947; 133: 29-30
- Reconstruction of the amputated finger tip with a triangular volar flap.J Bone Joint Surg. 1970; 52A: 921-926
- Single fingertip injuries treated by thenar flap.Hand. 1974; 63: 311-314
- The proximal inset thenar flap for fingertip reconstruction.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1983; 72: 698-704
- The repair of surface defect of fingers by transdigital flaps.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1950; 5: 368-371
- An innervated cross-finger flap for fingertip reconstruction.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1982; 72: 688-695
- Step-advancement island flap for thumb and fingertip reconstruction.Br J Plast Surg. 1988; 41: 105-111
- Homodigital neurovascular island flaps for digital pulp loss.J Hand Surg. 1989; 14B: 204-208
- Neurovascular pedicle transfer of tissue in reconstructive surgery of the hand.J Bone Joint Surg. 1956; 38A: 917
- Early salvage in acute hand injuries with a primary island flap.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1971; 48: 521-527
- Arterial system of the fingers.J Hand Surg. 1990; 15A: 148-154
- The pattern of venous drainage of the digits.J Hand Surg. 1984; 9A: 448-450
- Vascular anatomy of the finger dorsum and a new idea for coverage of the finger pulp defect that restores sensation.J Hand Surg. 1992; 17A: 927-932
Accepted: March 2, 1993
Received: February 11, 1993
© 1993 The British Association of Plastic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc.