This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Twenty patients who had undergone free vascularised fibula flap transfers were reviewed to determine the incidence of peri and postoperative complications. The mean follow-up was 3.2 years (0.2–10); 18 grafts were successful, but required 10 re-operations for complications including 5 haematoma evacuations and 3 bone grafts and plates for delayed or non-union. The two unsuccessful fibula grafts required 11 re-operations, the majority for infections and non-union. Technical details of the operative procedure are reviewed for their part in the complications.
- The free vascularised bone graft: a clinical extension of microvascular techniques.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1975; 55: 533-544
- Microvascular anastomoses for bone grafts in the treatment of massive defects in bone.J Bone Joint Surg. 1979; 61-A: 98-104
- Donor site morbidity following resection of the fibula.J Bone Joint Surg. 1990; 72: 129-131
- Donor site morbidity following osteocutaneous free fibula transfer.Br J Plast Surg. 1990; 43: 410-412
- Dual-fibular grafting for massive bone gaps in the lower extremity.J Bone Joint Surg (Am). 1990; 72: 486-494
Cavanagh SP, Pho RWH, Vascularised fibula grafts. Experience in 41 cases. Presentation at British Orthopaedic Association September 1990 meeting.
- Free vascularised fibular grafts for congenital pseudarthrosis of the tibia.J Bone Joint Surg (Br). 1991; 73-B: 211-215
- Reconstruction of large skeletal defects by vascularised fibula transfer. Factors that influenced the outcome of union in 62 cases.International Orthopaedics. 1990; 14: 121-128
- Bone changes in the vascularised fibular graft.J Bone Joint Surg (Br). 1989; 71: 374-378
- Superiority of the deep circumflex iliac vessels as the supply for free groin flaps. Clinical work.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1979; 64: 745-759
- The Tension-Stress effect on the genesis and growth of tissues. Part I. The influence of stability of lixation and soft-tissue preservation.Clin Orthop. 1989; 238: 249-281
- The Tension-Stress effect on the genesis and growth of tissues. Part II. The influence of the rate and frequency of distraction.Clin Orthop. 1989; 239: 263-285
- The “double barrel” free vascularised fibular bone graft.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1988; 81: 378-385
- Vascularised transfer of the fibula shaft.International Journal of Microsurgery. 1979; 1: 100-112
- Treatment of benign lesions of the femoral head and neck.Clin Orthop. 1990; 257: 134-137
- Transplantation of the tibia and fibula to replace the femur following resection. “Turn-up-plastv” of the leg.J Bone Joint Surg. 1948; 30-A: 854-858
- Lengthening of a short traumatic femoral stump.Injury. 1985; 16: 350-353
- Compartment syndrome masked by epidural anesthesia for postoperative pain.J Bone Joint Surg (Am). 1986; 68-A: 1447-1448
- The free vascularised nerve graft. A further experimental and clinical application of microvascular techniques.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1976; 57: 413-425
- Vascularised nerve grafts using composite arterialised neuro-venous systems.Br J Plast Surg. 1984; 37: 1-17
Accepted: March 25, 1993
Received: October 20, 1992
© 1993 The British Association of Plastic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc.