This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Scanning electron microscopic observations of the de-epidermalised surfaces of wounds and control skin reveal the architecture of dermal collagen. At wound edges there is a transition from the normal regular rete peg structure through erratically shaped finger-like projections with buds, to the relatively flat surface of granulation tissue. A corresponding change in the ultrastructure of dermal collagen is seen from normal areas where bundles of thick fibres are made up from finer fibrils, through a transitional zone where only fine fibrils are visible, to the granulation tissue where a disorganised amorphous structure is seen. It is suggested that the fibrous tissue surface at the edges of healing wounds is extensively remodelled after it is covered by epidermal cells.
- Clark RAF Henson PM The molecular and cellular biology of wound repair. Plenum Press, New York & London1988: 3-33
- Detection of basement zone antigens during epidermal wound healing in pigs.J Invest Dermatol. 1981; 79: 240-243
- Skin regenerated from cultured epithelial autografts on full thickness burn wounds from 6 days to 5 years after grafting. A light, electron microscopic and immunohistochemical study.Lab Invest. 1989; 60: 600-612
- Morphology of human epidermal healing.J Tiss Viab. 1991; 1: 12-17
- Collagen and mucopolysaccharides in the hypertrophic scar.Connect Tissue Res. 1974; 2: 205-213
- Some observations on the surface structure of collagen in hypertrophic scars.Burns Inel Ther Inj. 1985; 11: 175-180
- Skin collagen allografts in the rat.Nature. 1975; 258: 537-538
- Thermolysin treatment: a new method for dermo-epidermal separation.J Invest Dermatol. 1989; 92: 78-81
- Localisation of basement membrane components after dermal-epidermal junction separation.J Invest Dermatol. 1983; 81: 149-153
- Studies on antibody production. I. A method for the histochemical demonstration of specific antibody and its application to a study of the hyperimmune rabbit.J Exp Med. 1955; 102: 49-59
- Inflammation.Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo. Michigan1977
- Endothelial cell embryology and growth.Adv Microcirc. 1980; 9: 45-75
- Autoradiographic study of corneal neovascularisation induced by chemical cautery.Lab Invest. 1981; 45: 328-335
- The epidermal-dermal junction.J Invest Dermatol. 1975; 65: 71-84
- Human epidermal lamina: its structure, connections and function.Front Mat Biol. 1979; 7: 208-234
- Structure and function of basement membrane.J Invest Dermatol. 1982; 79 (suppl): 69-72
Accepted: April 16, 1993
Received: May 1, 1992
© 1993 The British Association of Plastic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc.