This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A study has been undertaken to investigate Prostaglandin E1 administration procedure for improving flap survival. Whether the drug was administered continuously or transcutaneously using a silicone gel drug delivery system; or was topically injected into the critical zone of the flap; or was intraperitoneally administered intermittently over an hour after surgery a statistically significant improvement of flap survival occurred (P < 0.01, Student'st-test).
However, no improvement of flap survival was seen when the drug was administered only once intraperitoneally immediately after flap elevation, although administered doses of the drug in those rats was equal to the doses in the rats which received intermittent administration of the drug intraperitoneally over an hour after surgery.
- A new system of treating wounds by a continuous topical application of medication.Br J Plast Surg. 1990; 43: 83-87
- The relationship between Prostaglandin E1 applied area and flap survival rate.Br J Plast Surg. 1992; 45: 465-468
- The relationship between time of application of Prostaglandin E1 and improved flap survival.Br J Plast Surg. 1993; 46: 580-581
- The effect of prostacyclin on experimental random pattern flaps in the rat.Br J Plast Surg. 1981; 34: 264-266
- Experimental evidence for involvement of prostaglandins in viability of acute skin flaps: effects on viability and mode of action.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1981; 67: 335-340
- Augmentation of surviving flap area by intraarterial vasodilators administered through implantable pumps.Ann Plast Surg. 1983; 11: 46-52
- Effect of intraarterial prostacyclin on survival of skin flaps in the pig: biphasic response.Ann Plast Surg. 1984; 13: 29-33
- Effects of externally applied Prostaglandin E1 on skin flap survival.J Jpn Plast Reconstr Surg. 1985; 5 (In Japanese): 7-13
- The effects of intravenous PGE1 on clinically critical flaps.J Jpn Plast Reconstr Surg. 1986; 6 (In Japanese): 933-940
- Effect of intravenous prostaglandin E1 on experimental flaps.Ann Plast Surg. 1987; 19: 49-53
- Principles and physiology of skin flap surgery.in: McCarthy JG Plastic Surgery. WB Saunders, Philadelphia1990: 275-328
Accepted: August 18, 1993
Received: June 2, 1993
© 1993 The British Association of Plastic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc.