This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
According to clinical studies there are fewer circulatory complications with the free TRAM flap than with the pedicled TRAM flap. In this haemodynamic study, we measured perioperative cutaneous blood flow in 11 free TRAM flaps with laser Doppler flowmetry (LDF) and transcutaneous oxygen tension (ptcO2). We also studied 4 pedicled TRAM flaps with an additional microvascular anastomosis. Our results suggest that skin blood flow in the free TRAM flap is superior compared to our previously presented results of the pedicled TRAM flaps, and also superior to pedicled TRAM flaps with additional microvascular anastomoses of the inferior epigastric vessels to “supercharge” them.
- Autogenous tissue reconstruction in the mastectomy patient. A critical review of 300 patients.Ann Surg. 1987; 205: 508
- The vascular territories of the superior epigastric and the deep inferior epigastrie systems.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1984; 73: 1
- Cutaneous blood flow in the TRAM flap.Br J Plast Surg. 1992; 45: 261
- Conventional TRAM flap versus free microsurgical TRAM flap for immediate breast reconstruction.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1989; 83: 828
- Experience with 50 free TRAM flap breast reconstructions.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1991; 87: 470
- Immediate breast reconstruction: Why the free TRAM over the conventional TRAM flap.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1992; 90: 255
- Breast reconstruction with the free TRAM flap after breast cancer surgery.J Reconstr Microsurg. 1992; 8: 1
- Transcutaneous oxygen and flaps.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1984; 74: 721
- Laser Doppler surveillance of the circulation of free flaps and replanted digits.Microsurgery. 1985; 6: 11
- Plast Reconstr Surg. 86. 1990: 327 Discussion. Regional variations of laser Doppler blood flow in ischemic skin flaps. 2nd ed.
- Clinical evaluation of laser Doppler blood flow measurements in free flaps.Ann Plast Surg. 1987; 18: 212
- Evaluation of the microcirculation in a sheep island pedicle flap with laser Doppler flowmeter and99m-Te-labelled red blood cells.J Reconstr Microsurg. 1990; 6: 345
- Intraoperative and postoperative monitoring of microsurgical free tissue transfers.Clin Plast Surg. 1992; 19: 783
- Intraoperative physiologic blood flow studies in the TRAM flap.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1992; 90: 553
- Dynamic variations in blood flow as measured by laser Doppler velocimetry: A study in rat skin flaps.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1984; 73: 804
- The transverse abdominal island flap What you should do when the flap turns blue.Eur J Plast Surg. 1988; 11: 69
- Augmentation of circulation of pedieled transverse rectus abdominis musculocutaneous flaps by microvascular surgery.Br J Plast Surg. 1987; 40: 367
Accepted: June 15, 1993
Received: February 15, 1993
This study was supported by a grant from The Finnish Medical Foundation and The Association for the Development of and Education in Plastic Surgery and Burn Treatment in Finland.
© 1993 The British Association of Plastic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc.