This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
This paper is a preliminary report on a strategy to perform open tip rhinoplasty at the time of lip repair in bilateral cleft lip and palate deformity. This method was devised to suit unique socio-economic circumstances in the Malaysian centre of Alor Setar. Of 8 cases having surgery in 1991, 7 returned for follow-up with results being documented photographically. It is concluded that this aggressive approach is justified in severe bilateral cleft lip and palate deformity because of the cost effectiveness of limiting the number of interventions. Furthermore, it provides optimally orientated nasal tip anatomy and reduces the social stigma of cleft lip nose appearance from the earliest possible time in the child's development.
- External approach for secondary rhinoplasty.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1987; 80: 161-173
- The Evolution of its Surgery. Volume 2. Bilateral and Rare Deformities. Little Brown and Co, Boston1977: 210-215 Cleft Craft. 2nd Edn.
- Plast Reconstr Surg. 77. 1986: 714-716 Discussion on primary repair of the bilateral cleft lip nose: A ten year review. By Harold McComb. 2nd Edn.
- Comprehensive treatment of bilateral cleft lip by multidisciplinary team approach.Br J Plast Surg. 1991; 44: 486-494
- Commentary on evaluation of open rhinoplasty, by Adamson PAet al.Plastic Surgery Outlook. 1990; 4: 4
- Primary repair of the bilateral cleft lip nose: A fifteen year review and a new treatment plan.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1990; 86: 882-889
- Second stage primary bilateral cleft lip nasal reconstruction.in: Bardach J Salyer KE Surgical techniques in cleft lip and palate. 2nd Edn. Mosby Year Book, St Louis1991: 155-158
- Reverse U incision for secondary repair of cleft lip nose.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1977; 60: 256-261
- Open reverse-U incision technique for secondary correction of unilateral cleft lip nose deformity.Br J Plast Surg. 1990; 43: 557-564
- A rotational method of bilateral cleft lip nose repair.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1991; 87: 1034-1040
Accepted: November 2, 1992
Received: August 11, 1992
© 1993 The British Association of Plastic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc.