This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
From 1982–1989, 152 mutilated distal digits were reconstructed with microsurgical foot tissue transfers in 121 patients. These various foot tissues included wrap-around flaps or pulp from the great toe, second toe, or third toe, as well as partial toe, nail, web space skin, and other portions of the foot. The reconstructions were carried out primarily and secondarily in 78 and 74 patients respectively. The immediate success rate was 98%. Most of the patients were satisfied with both the cosmetic appearance and the functional result. This relatively minor microsurgical foot tissue transfer proved to be an ideal reconstructive option for distal digital defects.
- Microsurgical restoration of distal digital function.Clin Plast Surg. 1989; 16: 443
- Physiological reconstruction of a thumb after total loss.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1931; 52: 245
- Toe-to-hand transfer.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1980; 66: 74
- Reconstruction of the thumb with a trimmed-toe transfer technique.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1988; 82: 506
- Reconstruction of severe transmetacarpal mutilating hand injuries by combined second and third toe transfer.J Hand Surg. 1981; 6: 319
- Thumb reconstruction by the wrap-around method.Clin Orthop. 1985; 195: 97
- Second toe wrap-around flap.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1991; 88: 837
- Simultaneous multiple toe transfers in hand reconstruction.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1988; 81: 366
- Combined second and third toe transfer.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1989; 84: 651
- Reconstruction of the thumb with a free wrap-around flap from the big toe and an iliac-bone graft.J Bone Joint Surg. 1985; 67A: 439
- Reconstruction of the hand with free microneurovascular toe-to-hand transfer: experience with 54 toe transfers.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1983; 71: 372
- Digital replantation distal to the proximal interphalangeal joint.J Hand Surg. 1982; 7: 161
- Distal replantation of the level of the distal interphalangeal joint and the distal phalanx.J Hand Surg. 1989; 14A: 214
- Replantation of the amputated distal part of the fingers.J Hand Surg. 1985; 10A: 211
- Aesthetic finger reconstruction with a lesser toe transfer.in: Brent B The Artistry of Reconstructive Surgery. CV Mosby, St Louis1988: 837
- Immediate Nicoladoni procedure in the rhesus monkey, or hallux-to-hand transplantation, utilizing microvascular anastomoses.Br J Plast Surg. 1966; 19: 332
- Free digital transfer-report of a case of transfer of a great toe to replace an amputated thumb.J Bone Joint Surg. 1969; 51B: 677
- Reconstruction of a hand, amputated at the metacarpophalangeal level by means of combined second and third toes from each foot: a case report.J Hand Surg. 1986; 11A: 340
- Hand reconstruction for multiple amputations by double microsurgical toe transplantation.J Hand Surg. 1985; 10A: 218
Accepted: October 2, 1992
Received: August 19, 1992
© 1993 The British Association of Plastic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc.