This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A historical review is given of the role of histopathology as a prognostic guide to the behaviour of cutaneous melanomas. Problems in the assessment of some of the current parameters are outlined in an attempt to explain the difficulties faced by histopathologists with some types of melanoma.
- Malignant melanoma. A clinicopathological analysis of the criteria for diagnosis and prognosis.Cancer. 1953; 6: 1
- The prognostic significance of ulceration of cutaneous melanoma.Cancer. 1980; 45: 3012
- Histological regression in primary cutaneous melanoma: recognition, prevalence and significance.Histopathology. 1992; 20: 315
- Thickness, cross sectional areas and depth of invasion in the prognosis of cutaneous melanoma.Annals of Surgery. 1970; 172: 902
- Experience of thin cutaneous melanomas (< 0.76 and < 0.85 mm thick) in a large plastic surgery unit: a 5 to 17 year follow-up.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1984; 37: 501
- The histogenesis and biologic behaviour of primary human malignant melanomas of the skin.Cancer Research. 1969; 29: 705
- Regression model and life tables.Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. 1972; B34: 187
- Malignant melanoma. Prognostic significance of ‘microscopic satellites’ in the reticular dermis and subcutaneous fat.Annals of Surgery. 1981; 194: 108
- Surgical treatment and survival from cutaneous malignant melanoma.Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery. 1985; 55: 229
- Effect of initial biopsy procedure on prognosis in stage I invasive cutaneous malignant melanoma; a review of 1086 patients.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1991; 78: 1108
- Prognostic significance of the histological features of malignant melanoma.Histopathology. 1979; 3: 385
- Prognostic significance of a polypoid configuration in malignant melanoma.Histopathology. 1983; 7: 663
- Primary cutaneous malignant melanoma. An analysis of the prognostic value of histologic characteristics.Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 1983; 8: 857
- Staging of malignant melanoma by depth of invasion. A proposed index to prognosis.American Journal of Surgery. 1965; 110: 168
- Malignant melanomas of the skin.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1962; 15: 49
- Incisional procedures and prognosis in malignant melanomas.Clinical and Experimental Dermatology. 1980; 5: 313
- A study of the thickness of the uninvolved dermis beneath cutaneous malignant melanoma. The ratio of uninvolved dermis to tumour thickness (DT:TT) as a prognostic index.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1984; 37: 496
- Low and high risk melanoma—(1). Evaluation of clinical and histological prognosticators in 585 cases.European Journal of Cancer and Clinical Oncology. 1983; 19: 227
- The intralesional variation of type, level of invasion and tumour thickness of primary cutaneous malignant melanoma.Acta Pathologica et Microbiologica Scandinavica (Section A). 1980; 88: 269
Accepted: May 19, 1992
Received: May 15, 1992
© 1993 The British Association of Plastic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc.