This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
With the aim of voice restoration after repair of a total defect or obstruction of the cervical trachea, we developed a new method of total cervical tracheal reconstruction with a free forearm flap. The forearm flap is inverted to form a tube and then interposed between the subglottic trachea and an adjacent cutaneous fistula created at the upper portion of the tracheostoma. A permanent tracheostoma is preserved, and an L-shaped silicone tube is inserted in the reconstructed cervical trachea and the tracheostoma as a stent. In two patients, both became able to speak.
- Reconstruction of the laryngotracheal complex in children using the sternocleidomastoid myocutaneous flap.Head and Neck Surgery. 1981; 4: 16
- Combined treatment of concurrent laryngeal and tracheal stenosis.Journal of laryngology and Otology. 1979; 93: 59
- Reconstruction of the mediastinal trachea with a tubed pectoralis major myocutaneous flap.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1989; 84: 342
- Tracheal reconstruction with pedicled thyroid cartilage.Laryngoscope. 1985; 95: 60
- Circumferential resection of the mediastinal and cervical trachea.Annals of Surgery. 1965; 162: 374
- Tracheal surgery.Scandinavian Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 1983; 17: 67
- Reconstruction of late laryngo-tracheal stenosis in a one stage operation by cervical flap and cartilage transplantation.Chirurgia Plastica. 1986; 8: 233
- Tracheal reconstruction with autogenous jejunal microsurgical transfer.Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 1986; 41: 636
- Epithelialized microvascular iliac crest flap for reconstruction of subglottic and upper tracheal stenosis.American Journal of Otolaryngology. 1986; 7: 157
- Total reconstruction of the cervical trachea.Archives of Otolaryngology. 1970; 91: 501
- Primary reconstruction of the cervical trachea following extirpation of the thyroid cancer that invaded the trachea.Otolaryngology (Tokyo). 1976; 48: 171
- Tracheoplasty by means of a periosteal pedicle graft.Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 1964; 47: 572
- Laryngotracheoplasty with costochondral grafts: a clinical correlate of grafts survival.Laryngoscope. 1984; 94: 1493
- Experimental and clinical reconstructive surgery of the larynx and trachea.Archives of Otolaryngology. 1984; 110: 315
Accepted: May 18, 1992
Received: February 24, 1992
© 1993 The British Association of Plastic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc.