This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A retrospective study of morbidity due to primary radical nasal correction was undertaken on 33 consecutive cases of complete unilateral cleft lip and palate within one year of their 10th birthday. Primary surgery was performed by one surgeon (RWP) using the Alar Leapfrog technique. Morbidity was assessed by the number of manoeuvres required for revisional surgery up to the age of 10 and was derived from the case notes.
A total of 12 patients required no revision. The number of revisional manoeuvres was 39 in 27 anaesthetic sessions.
Cleft lip noses treated by a technique of primary radical nasal correction (Alar Leapfrog) required a significant number of secondary manoeuvres to produce an acceptable results. This must be balanced against reduced teasing due to improved symmetry over this period.
- Simultaneous repair of lip and nose in the unilateral cleft (a long report).in: Jackson I.T. Sommerlad B.C. Recent Advances in Plastic Surgery. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh1985: 1
- The cleft lip nose.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1959; 23: 567
- Secondary repair of cleft lips and their nasal deformities.Annals of Surgery. 1941; 114: 101
- A computer-based method of measuring facial asymmetry. Results from an assessment of the repair of cleft lip deformities.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1987; 40: 371
- Correction of the cleft lip nose.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1988; 82: 419
- Cleft lip nasal reconstruction: correcting the classic unilateral defect.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1982; 69: 264
- Harelip: operations for the correction of secondary deformities.Lancet. 1932; 2: 1369
- Studies on the pathologic anatomy of the unilateral harelip nose.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1949; 4: 225
- The management of the patient with cleft lip and/or palate.American Journal of Surgery. 1958; 95: 204
- Nasal defects associated with cleft lip deformity.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1964; 34: 176
- The nose tip.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1968; 21: 153
- Primary correction of the unilateral cleft lip nasal deformity: a 10-year review.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1985; 75: 791
- Synchronous repair of secondary deformities in cleft lip and nose.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1959; 24: 150
- Cleft Craft: The Evolution of Its Surgery, Vol. 1: The unilateral deformity.in: Boston, Little, Brown and Company, 1976: 639
- The nasal problem in cleft lips.Surgery, Gynecology and Obstetrics. 1963; 116: 503
- “Alar Leapfrog”, A technique for repositioning the total alar cartilage at primary cleft lip repair.Clinics in Plastic Surgery. 1985; 12: 643
Randall, P. (1981). Personal communication.
- Primary correction of the unilateral cleft lip nose: a 15 year experience.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1986; 77: 558
- The use of an independent panel to assess the long term results of cleft lip repair.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1986; 39: 373
- Reverse-U incision for secondary repair of cleft lip nose.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1977; 60: 256
Accepted: October 24, 1991
Received: June 11, 1991
Based on a paper presented at the Cranio-Facial Annual Scientific Meeting, London, 1989.
© 1993 The British Association of Plastic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc.