This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Chronic recurrent synovial fistulae of the knee are uncommon. They can occur as a surgical complication or as a consequence of traumatic injuries. Conservative treatment is usually adequate for initial management, but no consensus exists about the treatment for chronic or recurrent cases and the literature on the subject is scarce.
Two cases are presented in which initial conservative and subsequent conventional surgical management failed and reconstruction with regional myofascial flaps was required.
- Post-Traumatic Fistula Connecting Prepatellar Bursa with Knee Joint.J Bone Joint Surg. 1972; 54-A: 1553-1554
- Studies of a Popliteal Synovial Fistula.Ann Rheum Dis. 1972; 31: 482-486
- Synovial Sinus.in: Epps CH Complications in Orthopaedic Surgery. Lippincott, Philadelphia1978: 511
- An Unusual Complication of Arthroscopy: A Fistula Between the Knee and the Prepatellar Bursa. Case Report.J Bone Joint Surg [am]. 1984; 66: 624
- Synovial Fistula of the Knee: A Complication of Arthroscopy.Arthroscopy. 1991; 7: 98-100
- Knee Injuries.in: Crenshaw AH Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 7th ed. C.V. Mosby, St. Louis1987: 2283-2496
- General Principles of Arthroscopy.in: Crenshaw AH Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 8th ed. Mosby Year Book, Inc., St. Louis1991: 1769-1786
- Use of the Muscle Flap in Chronic Osteomyelitis. Experimental and Clinical Correlation.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1982; 69: 815-828
- Comparison of the Effect of Bacterial Inoculation in Musculocutaneous and Random-Pattern Flaps.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1982; 70: 1-9
- Coverage of the Infected Wound.Ann Surg. 1983; 198: 420-428
- Comparison of the Intracellular Bacterial Killing Activity of Leukocytes in Musculocutanoeus and Random-Pattern Flaps.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1990; 86: 541-547
- Distally-Based Sartorius Muscle Flap in the Treatment of Infected Femoral Arterial Prostheses.J Cardiovasc Surg. 1980; 21: 628-631
- The Scrotal Myocutaneous Flap.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1986; 78: 676-678
- Uso de Colgajos Musculares y Miocuta´neous para Tratar Pro´tesis Vasculares Expuestas.Cir Plast Ibero-Latino-Amer. 1988; 14: 117-124
- Tratamiento de la Esternotomi´a Media Complicada.Cir Plast Ibero-Latino-Amer. 1989; 15: 287-296
Accepted: November 2, 1992
Received: June 25, 1992
© 1993 The British Asscociation of Plastic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc.