This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
This study was designed to observe the effect of perfusion with University of Wisconsin (UW) preservation solution on skin flap survival following secondary ischaemia caused by venous obstruction in rats. An epigastric flap model was used.
Saline-perfused flaps exhibited no significant improvement in survival compared to untreated animals (NS). Skin flaps perfused with UW solution, however, had a significant increase in survival to 40% (8/20) (p < 0.01) when perfused before the onset of primary ischaemia and 30% (6/20) (p < 0.05) when given before the onset of secondary ischaemia. These results show that UW solution improves skin flap survival, presumably through preservation of the microvasculature.
- Study of washout solutions for microvascular replantation and transplantation.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1975; 56: 542-548
- The effects of the perfusion of various solutions on the no-flow phenomenon in experimental free flaps.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1978; 61: 421-430
- The effects of combined cooling and perfusion on experimental free-flap survival in rabbits.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1985; 76: 104-109
- Delayed microcirculatory hyperpermeability following perfusion washout.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1987; 79: 102-107
- 72-hour preservation of the canine pancreas.Trans. 1987; 43: 5-8
- Preservation of the canine liver for 24–48 hours using simple cold storage with UW solution.Trans. 1988; 46: 517-522
- Effectiveness of modified University of Wisconsin solution for heart preservation as assessed in heterotopic rat heart transplant model.J Thor Card Surg. 1990; 99: 1104-1108
- The use of a new perfusate in experimental microvascular flaps: a three-fold increase in ischemic tolerance.J Reconstr Micr. 1991; 7: 305-309
- Secondary critical ischemia time of experimental skin flaps.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1984; 74: 522-524
- Secondary ischemia in rodents: contrasting complete pedicle interruption with venous obstruction.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1990; 85: 789-793
- The role of oxygen-free radicals in ischemic tissue injury in island skin flaps.Ann Surg. 1983; 198: 87-90
- The effect of throm☐ane synthetase inhibition on tolerance of skin flaps to secondary ischemia caused by venous obstruction.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1990; 86: 329-334
- The effect of deferoxamine on tolerance to secondary ischaemia caused by venous obstruction.Brit J Plast Surg. 1989; 42: 422-424
Shin MS, Angel MF, Im MJ, Vander Kolk CA, Manson PN. Effects of 21-aminosteroid U74389F on skin flap survival after secondary ischemia. Plast Recon Surg (In press).
- Secondary ischaemia in rabbit skin flaps: the role played by throm☐ane and free radicals.Clin Science. 1991; 80: 235-240
- The biochemical basis of secondary ischemia.J Surg Res. 1992; 52: 226-232
- Prior elevation of vascular island skin flaps: intolerance to ischemia caused by venous obstruction.J Reconstr Microsurg. 1989; 5: 163-165
- An analysis of the components in UW solution using the isolated perfused rabbit liver.Trans. 1988; 46: 512-516
- A world survey of anticoagulation practice in clinical microvascular surgery.Brit J Plast Surg. 1982; 35: 96-99
- Microvascular free flaps: the first decade.Clin Plant Surg. 1983; 10: 3-20
- Survival factors in replantation and revascularization of the amputated thumb — 10 years experience.Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg. 1984; 18: 163-173
- Pharmacologic treatment of the failing skin flap.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1982; 70: 541-548
- The relationship between venous occlusion time in island flaps and flap survival.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1977; 60: 92-95
- Tissue glucose and lactate following vascular occlusion in island skin flaps.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1982; 70: 202-205
- Timing relationships for secondary ischaemia in rodents: the effect of arteriovenous obstruction.J Reconstr Microsurg. 1991; 7: 335-337
- Timing relationships for secondary ischaemia in rodents: the effect of venous obstruction.J Reconstr Microsurg. 1992; 8: 107-109
- Effect of allopurinol on the survival of hyperemic island skin flaps.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1984; 73: 276-278
- The no-reflow phenomenon in experimental free flaps.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1978; 61: 256-267
- Vasoactive prostaglandins in the impending no-reflow state: evidence for a primary disturbance in microvascular tone.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1988; 81: 755-764
- Functional and structural evaluation of the vasculature of skin flaps after ischemia and reperfusion.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1988; 81: 742-750
- Prostacyclin and prostanoid modifiers aid ischemic skin flap survival.J Surg Res. 1991; 50: 119-123
Received: May 26, 1992
© 1993 The British Asscociation of Plastic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc.