This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The reconstruction of the cervical oesophagus and the hypopharynx by revascularised bowel grafts has become a frequently described treatment option. Problems with the standard jejunal grafts have led us to suggest that the colon provides a suitable alternative. Experimental work in dogs demonstrates clear functional differences between colon and jejunum as free oesophageal grafts, and shows how structurally and functionally the colon integrates into the new position in the oesophagus better than the jejunum.
- The contribution of vascular surgery to oesophageal replacement.British Journal of Surgery. 1966; 53: 122
- The role of the free jejunal graft in reconstruction of the pharynx and cervical oesophagus.Head and Neck Surgery. 1982; 4: 360
- Free grafting and revascularization of intestine. I. Replacement of the cervical esophagus.Surgery. 1966; 60: 1012
- Reconstruction of cervical oesophagus with free double-folded intestinal graft.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1985; 38: 483
- Editorial. Muscle innervation of the gut: Structure and pathology.Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine. 1984; 77: 905
- Reconstruction of the hypopharynx and cervical oesophagus with microvascular jejunal transplant.Clinics in Plastic Surgery. 1978; 5: 305
- Postoperative function of “free” jejunal transplants for replacement of the cervical oesophagus.Annals of Surgery. 1980; 192: 439
- Historical review of pharyngooesophageal reconstruction after resection for carcinoma of pharynx and cervical oesophagus.Clinical Otolaryngology. 1983; 8: 345
- Experience with free autografts of the bowel with a new venous anastomosis apparatus.Surgery. 1964; 55: 796
- Reconstruction of large defects in the oropharynx with a revascularized intestinal graft: an experimental and clinical report.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1984; 73: 345
- Recovery of function and structure of dog ileum and colon following two hours' acute ischaemia.European Journal of Clinical Investigation. 1974; 4: 443
- Free jejunal graft reconstruction after extensive head and neck surgery.American Journal of Surgery. 1980; 139: 650
- Free jejunal mucosal patch graft reconstruction of the oropharynx.Archives of Surgery. 1982; 117: 459
- Immediate reconstruction of the cervical esophagus by a revascularized isolated jejunal segment.Annals of Surgery. 1959; 149: 162
© 1987 The Trustees of British Association of Plastic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc.