This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A case of xeroderma pigmentosum (XP) is reported whose treatment included sub-total excision of facial skin and resurfacing in aesthetic units with grafts of relatively undamaged buttock skin. The principle of resurfacing is logical and supported by this and other reports which are reviewed. Though control was achieved in the grafted areas, tumours continued to develop in adjacent ungrafted skin. The importance of radical excision of exposed skin in severe cases of XP is emphasised.
- Defective repair replication of DNA in xeroderma pigmentosum.Nature. 1968; 218: 652
- Planing for pre-cancerous skin.Archives of Dermatology. 1956; 74: 312
- Planing for pre-cancerous skin: a follow-up study.Archives of Dermatology. 1958; 77: 676
- Dermatome shaving in the treatment of xeroderma pigmentosum.Archives of Dermatology. 1972; 105: 589
- Xeroderma pigmentosum.Minerva Chirurgica. 1962; 17: 894
- Xeroderma pigmentosum—five year arrest after total resurfacing of the face.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1970; 46: 577
- Xeroderma pigmentosum with malignant change treated by excision and free skin graft.Chinese Medical Journal. 1963; 82: 763
- Xeroderma pigmentosum.Acta Chirurgicae Plasticae. 1975; 17: 3
- Xeroderma pigmentosum: Oldest living survivor?.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1985; 75: 107
- La chirurgie dans le traitement du xe´roderma pigmentosum (re´flexionsa`propos d'un cas).Acta Stomatologica Belgica. 1983; 80: 121
- The challenge of xeroderma pigmentosum.British Journal of Surgery. 1965; 52: 56
- Xeroderma pigmentosum: Oldest living survivor?.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1985; 76: 797
- Xeroderma pigmentosum.Cancer. 1954; 7: 377
- Xeroderma pigmentosum.Annales de Chirurgie Plastique. 1980; 25: 117
- Follow-up clinic.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1972; 49: 83
- Un autre regard sur le traitement du xe´roderma pigmentosum.Annales de Chirurgie Plastique. 1979; 24: 257
- Xeroderma pigmentosa.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1959; 24: 214
- Multiple malignant tumour formation in xeroderma pigmentosum.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1965; 18: 314
Accepted: March 24, 1987
Received: March 4, 1987
© 1987 The Trustees of British Association of Plastic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc.