This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Hailey-Hailey disease is a benign, chronic genodermatosis manifested by recurrent lesions with a predilection for the intertriginous areas. The malodorous, weeping sores are a source of great discomfort to the patient. Medical therapy controls most lesions adequately; however, some are refractory. Experience with excision of skin involved with Hailey-Hailey disease is reported. The best results were obtained in those patients whose wounds were resurfaced with split skin grafts. Primary suture was associated with recurrent disease and residual morbidity. The findings of other isolated reports in the literature are also summarised.
The results show that surgical control of Hailey-Hailey disease is indicated in recalcitrant cases.
Balogh, B. and Freilinger, G. (in press). Familial benign chronic pemphigus Hailey-Hailey.European Journal of Plastic Surgery.
- Familial benign chronic pemphigus: Surgical treatment and pathogenesis.Archives of Dermatology. 1971; 104: 380
- Familial chronic pemphigus (letter to the editor).Archives of Dermatology. 1969; 100: 385
- Treatment of benign familial pemphigus (Hailey-Hailey) by skin grafting.British Journal of Dermatology. 1970; 83: 402
- Surgical treatment of familial benign chronic pemphigus.Archives of Dermatology. 1981; 117: 540
- Familial benign chronic pemphigus.Archives of Dermatology and Siphilology. 1939; 39: 679
- Surgical management of familial benign chronic pemphigus by excision and primary closure.Annals of Plastic Surgery. 1982; 9: 337
- Familial benign pemphigus.in: Fitzpatrick T.B. Eisen A.Z. Wolff K. Freedberg I.M. Austen K.F. Dermatology in General Medicine: Textbook and Atlas. 2nd Ed. McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York1979
- Surgical management of Hailey-Hailey disease: Report of a case.Journal of Dermatologic Surgery and Oncology. 1980; 6: 662
- Hailey-Hailey disease: Report of a case treated surgically.Cutis. 1981; 28: 535
- Surgical management of familial benign chronic pemphigus: Case report.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1974; 54: 364
- Specific systemic antibiotic therapy in familial benign chronic pemphigus.Archives of Dermatology. 1959; 80: 554
- Surgical eradication of familial benign chronic pemphigus from the axillae: Report of a case.Archives of Dermatology. 1969; 100: 275
- Treatment of familial benign chronic pemphigus by skin grafting.Acta Dermato-Venereologica. 1975; 55 (Stockholm): 395
- Surgical treatment of familial chronic pemphigus (Hailey-Hailey disease).Archives of Dermatology. 1968; 98: 522
Accepted: April 6, 1987
Received: December 18, 1986
© 1987 The Trustees of British Association of Plastic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc.