This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A new approach to the treatment of congenital “giant” naevi is described, using a curette in thefirst few weeks of life. This attempts to minimise the disadvantages of established methods of treatment. The technique is relatively atraumatic as there appears to be a natural cleavage plane within the dermis removing the pigmentation. Ten patients have been treated with this procedure with a follow-up of 3 months to 5 years; 3 patients have produced poor and unsatisfactory curettings, which has resulted in return of pigmentation. One case developed hypertrophic scarring following a wound infection and delayed healing. The other 6 cases have encouraging appearances although the hairs in some lesions remain. It is too early to say if malignant potential has been removed but perhaps it has been reduced by decreasing the total number of melanocytes and naevus cells.
- Congential nevocellular nevus: A review of the treatment controversy and a report of 46 cases.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1983; 72: 355
- Defining the malignant potential of the giant pigmented nevus.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1976; 57: 611
- Incidence of malignancy in pigmented nevi.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1965; 36: 26
- Permanent removal of pigmentation from giant hairy naevi by dermabrasion in early life.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1977; 30: 321
- Congenital nevocytic nevi and malignant melanomas.Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 1979; 1: 123
- Melanoma: Histological diagnosis and prognosis. (Biopsy Interpretation Series).Raven Press, New York1983
- Congenital melanocytic nevi of the small and garment type.Human Pathology. 1973; 4: 395
- Removing pigmentation by dermabrading naevi in infancy.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1979; 32: 124
- Cutaneous malignant melanoma in the young.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1986; 39: 537
- Naevus pigmentosus giganticus: Indikationer for operative behandling.Ugeskrift for Laeger. 1963; 125: 613
- Small congenital nevocellular nevi and the risk of cutaneous melanoma.Journal of Paediatrics. 1982; 100: 219
- Nonepidermal origin of malignant melanoma associated with a giant congenital nevocellular nevus.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1981; 67: 782
- The malignant potential of small congenital nevocellular nevi.Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 1982; 6: 230
- Malignant melanoma arising from a giant hairy naevus.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1962; 15: 426
- The management of congenital melanocytic nevi.Archives of Dermatology. 1980; 116: 1017
- Giant congenital neuroid melanocytic nevus.Archives of Dermatology. 1980; 116: 318
- Metastatic malignant melanoma in prepubertal children.Paediatrics. 1975; 55: 191
- Pigmented lesions in newborn infants.British Journal of Dermatology. 1976; 95: 389
Based on a paper presented to the British Association of Plastic Surgeons Summer Meeting in Liverpool, July 1986.
© 1987 The Trustees of British Association of Plastic Surgeons. All rights reserved. Published by Elsevier Inc.