This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Three cases of palatal fistulae closed by microvascular transfer of radial forearm flaps are presented. Vascularised bone was included in one flap and all operations were free of complications.
Facial scarring is minimal and the secondary deformity in the arm has not been significant.
It is suggested that this procedure presents fewer difficulties than other techniques for treating the large palatal fistula and may prevent the collapse of the alveolar arch which follows the scarring associated with closure by local tissue.
- Hemi-tongue flaps.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1980; 66: 574
- Dorsalis pedis free flap to close extensive palatal fistulae.Microsurgery. 1983; 4: 35
- Deckung von gaumendefekten mittels gestielter naso-labial.Deutsche Zeitschrift fu¨r Chirurgie. 1918; 147: 128
- The nasolabial tunnel flap.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1969; 43: 463
- The use of lingual flaps in repair of fistulae of the hard palate.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1966; 18: 123
- Tongue flap repair of cleft palate fistulae.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1984; 37: 285
- The forearm flap.Clinics in Plastic Surgery. 1982; 9: 21
- The radial forearm flap: a versatile method for intra-oral reconstruction.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1983; 36: 1
- Verschluss eines loches im harten gaumen durch die weicteile der wange.Archiv fu¨r Ohrenheikunde. 1868; 9: 159
- Esser's skin flap for closing large palatal fistulae.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1966; 19: 322
- Fortschritte in der chirurgischen therapie der hauttumaren.Wiener Medizinische Wochenschrift. 1974; 124 (Vienna): 593
© 1987 The Trustees of British Association of Plastic Surgeons. All rights reserved. Published by Elsevier Inc.