This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
In place of the multi-staged skin flap procedures often required to cover exposed bone in the lower leg, muscle flaps offer a bonus in that the repair can be completed in one operation and at the same time the blood supply to the unhealthy area is vastly improved. Elsewhere muscle flaps bestow the same advantages and in addition provide a cushioning layer between prominent bone and the skin in the repair of decubitus ulcers.
As an extension of the muscle flap technique, myocutaneous flaps have proved a useful adjunct to conventional skin flaps in the repair of many complicated trunk and lower limb defects.
- A combined biceps and semitendinosus muscle flap in the repair of ischial sores.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1978; 31: 26
- Delayed local leg flaps.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1974; 27: 167
- The repair of defects of the lower limbs using a local flap.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1957; 10: 32
- Investigations of muscle atrophies arising from disuse and tenotomy.Journal of Physiology. 1944; 103: 253
- The operative treatment of the advanced stasis ulcer: A preliminary communication.American Journal of Surgery. 1966; 3: 659
- The tensor fascia lata myocutaneous free flap.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1978; 61: 517
- Cross-leg flaps: a review of 60 cases.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1950; 3: 1
- Experimental definition of independent myocutaneous vascular territories.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1977; 60: 212
- Clinical definition of independent myocutaneous vascular territories.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1977; 60: 341
- Gluteus maximus myocutaneous flaps for repair of pressure sores.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1977; 60: 242
- The place of the cross-leg flap in reconstructive surgery of the lower leg and foot: a review of 165 cases.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1978; 31: 138
- The musculo-cutaneous flap method: an immediate and heroic substitute for the method of delay.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1972; 25: 106
- Compound neck pedicle designed for the repair of massive facial defects: formation, development and application.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1955; 15: 369
- Pedicle muscle flaps and their applications in the surgery of repair.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1973; 26: 313
- Resurfacing the sole: long-term follow-up and comparison of techniques.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1978; 31: 107
© 1980 The Trustees of British Association of Plastic Surgeons. All rights reserved. Published by Elsevier Inc.