This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The tensor fasciae latae musculocutaneous flap is confirmed to be an easily designed and reliable flap. It is especially useful in the closure of trochanteric pressure sores, and has potential value in the repair of defects in the groin and lower abdomen. The gracilis flap is possibly more useful for closure of recurrent or large ischial sores, but the limits and dimensions of both flaps require further investigation.
Closure of the donor area in the thigh may be difficult especially where excessive tissue calcification is present. Modification of the design of the flap may help to reduce the defect before closure.
The rapidity of healing associated with the excellent blood supply to the T.F.L. flap renders it very safe and makes nursing care post-operatively relatively trouble-free.
- Bedsores.in: Edward Arnold (Publishers) Ltd.,, London1967: 113
- Repairs in the lower abdomen, groin or perineum with myocutaneous or omental flaps.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1979; 63: 186
- The management of decubitus ulcers by muscle transposition. An 8-year review.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1967; 58: 419
- Medical History of the Second World War Surgery.in: Sir Zachary Cope Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London1953: 496 (John Wright and Sons Ltd., Bristol)
- The tensor fascia lata myocutaneous free flap.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1978; 61: 517
- Covering large groin defects with the tensor fascia lata musculocutaneous flap.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1979; 32: 12
- Clinical definition of independent myocutaneous vascular territories.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1977; 60: 341
- The tensor fascia lata musculocutaneous flap.Annals of Plastic Surgery. 1978; 1: 372
- Experiences with tensor fascia lata flap.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1979; 63: 788
- Compound neck pedicle designed for the repair of massive facial defects, formation, development and application.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1955; 15: 369
- Pedicle muscle flaps and their applications in the surgery of repair.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1973; 26: 313
- Repair of recurrent and difficult hernias and other large defects of the abdominal wall employing the ilio tibial tract of fascia lata as a pedicled flap.Surgery, Gynaecology and Obstetrics. 1934; 59: 766
© 1980 The Trustees of British Association of Plastic Surgeons. All rights reserved. Published by Elsevier Inc.