This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Body image disturbance may be an early sign of schizophrenia. The significance of this and dysmorphophobia with relation to patients seeking cosmetic rhinoplasty is discussed.
Results of a follow-up of patients 10 years after cosmetic surgery to see whether they developed schizophrenia or serious psychological disorder are presented. The literature, significance of the findings and the clinical implications are all discussed.
- Psychology of the patient undergoing plastic surgery.American Journal of Surgery. 1944; 65: 238
- Disorders of the body image in the clinical picture of the psychoses.Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease. 1943; 97: 310
- The role of the plastic surgeon and psychiatrist in the surgery of appearance.British Medical Journal. 1960; 17: 1768
- Electronic command of movement and behaviour.Transactions of the New York Academy of Science. 1959; 21: 689
- The problem of somatic delusions in patients seeking cosmetic surgery.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1971; 48: 246
- Surgical-psychiatric study of patients with minimal deformity.British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1960; 13: 136
- The Psycho-analytic Theory of Neurosis.Norton and Co., New York1945
- Clinical diagnosis of early schizophrenia.in: Ferguson Roger T. Mowbray R.M. Roy J.R. Topics in Psychiatry. Cassell & Co., 1958: 47
- Psychiatric aspects of cosmetic nasal operations.British Journal of Psychiatry. 1970; 116: 85
- Dysmorphophobia.British Journal of Psychiatry. 1970; 116: 399
- Experience of bodily distortion.in: General Psychopathology. 7th Edition. University of Chicago Press, 1883: 91
- Incidence of complications in cosmetic rhino-plasties.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1964; 34: 192
- The clinical significance of the syndrome of dysmorphophobia.Zhurnal Nevropatologii i Psikhiatrii imeni S.S. Korsakova. 1959; 59: 994
- Sulla Dismorfofobia e Sulla Tafefobia.Bollettino Accademia delle Scienze Mediche di Genova. 1866; VI: 110
- Compulsion and Doubt. vol. II. Peter Nevill, London1950
© 1975 E. & S. Livingstone. All rights reserved. Published by Elsevier Inc.